Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
#Maverick#
#Maverick#
IS Down4daCause
Mental State Is Zenlike
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,280, Level: 35 Points: 3,280, Level: 35 Points: 3,280, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
My Mood: Cool
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts
Default Martial Arts Training Advice Needed!

Hey guys

I started doing Krav Maga and am looking to start jiu jitsu soon as well. The thing is i realized that my conditioning is horrible partially because i am little heavier. 225 lbs at 25% body fat. I am asking for help in formulating an exercise program/diet program that will help me cut some weight while also increasing explosiveness and endurance. I am looking to increase my punch/kick power.

My current lifting program involves going to the gym 3x week and doing chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders. I Do not have set exercises for those days, i just try to hit every muscle group that goes with the day.

As for my diet, it is not very good, I am a college student, i would like to make a set meal schedule to help me tupperware everything and pack it. But i don't even know where to begin. Any tips you guys could provide would be great.

Supplements: I am currently only ON Gold Standard Whey, a multivitamin and MusclePharm Assault when I feel tired pregym. I am looking in to adding a BCAA supplement.

Thanks Guys in advance.

If this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it where ever it belongs mods.

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,028, Level: 100 Points: 32,028, Level: 100 Points: 32,028, Level: 100
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Run hills on all your offdays, and jump rope. Dont eat any fastfood and avoid sugars.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
jdmalm123
jdmalm123
has alien fiberz
Less is More
Max Brawn
Points: 11,553, Level: 70 Points: 11,553, Level: 70 Points: 11,553, Level: 70
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Yeti Sports 1 Long Ass Shot Champion! Cat Batting Champion!
Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: All of 'em
Fav Supp: Milk shake
My Mood: Yeehaw
jdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite memberjdmalm123 is an elite member

I'm guessing your program is more of a mass/bodybuilder program...

Does your instructor only train you in technique? I did a sample KM class and we were doing fitness drills for most of the class.

Swede's right pointing you toward speed and endurance. If you want to train in a regular gym, there are good OLY lifts or even partial OLY lifts that will make you more explosive.

If you do plyometrics, remember that a little goes a long way.... don't work to exhaustion with them. Stop when or before your performance decreases.

A traditional boxing or wrestling training routine is more likely to have what you want. Weights are a great supplement and a bigger stronger guy has an advantage, but arm size doesn't win a fight. Speed, power, tenacity and endurance do...and a willingness to hurt your opponent.

"Trust the process."
"Just get stronger, you bunch of knuckleheads."
- Steve Shaw, MaB Founder
jdmalm123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Soldier
Soldier
gets crabby on low carb days.
Max Brawn
Points: 11,728, Level: 71 Points: 11,728, Level: 71 Points: 11,728, Level: 71

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Hill sprints. Do them twice a week at first. One of the times allow yourself to recover fully between each sprint. That will build lower body explosiveness (ALL striking power originates in the lower body). The other time you do them don't allow yourself to completely recover. Do a set number of hill sprints, enough to really push you hard, and time yourself. Next week try to do the same number in less time.

As for your diet, you need to maintain a balanced diet. No crazy bodybuilding ketogenic fat loss diets. You need enough protein to support recovery, enough carbs to support your frequent training and enough fats to support hormone production and mental health, so keep it balanced and use calorie manipulation to create slow and steady weight loss.

Too many martial artists try to use resistance training to build conditioning, and end up neglecting maximal strength. Use your weight sessions to get brutally strong. I developed scary hard punching and kicking ability through building pure maximal strength and spending plenty of time on the heavy bag.

Add in steady state cardio once a week, either jogging or a cardio machine for a good 20 minutes or so.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Along with the hill sprints that have already been suggested, I would add an oly style lift to my routine. Power cleans and snatches are great for developing explosive power.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
#Maverick#
#Maverick#
IS Down4daCause
Mental State Is Zenlike
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,280, Level: 35 Points: 3,280, Level: 35 Points: 3,280, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: About 8 Months
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: MILK
My Mood: Cool
#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts#Maverick# has made some very good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Run hills on all your offdays, and jump rope. Dont eat any fastfood and avoid sugars.
I got just the hill will start on this tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmalm123 View Post
I'm guessing your program is more of a mass/bodybuilder program...

Does your instructor only train you in technique? I did a sample KM class and we were doing fitness drills for most of the class.

Swede's right pointing you toward speed and endurance. If you want to train in a regular gym, there are good OLY lifts or even partial OLY lifts that will make you more explosive.

If you do plyometrics, remember that a little goes a long way.... don't work to exhaustion with them. Stop when or before your performance decreases.

A traditional boxing or wrestling training routine is more likely to have what you want. Weights are a great supplement and a bigger stronger guy has an advantage, but arm size doesn't win a fight. Speed, power, tenacity and endurance do...and a willingness to hurt your opponent.
I always do power cleans and compound exercises avoiding isolation exercises as much as possible and yes we do conditioning at krav, its pretty crazy and i want to work on my conditioning outside of the class so i can progress faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Hill sprints. Do them twice a week at first. One of the times allow yourself to recover fully between each sprint. That will build lower body explosiveness (ALL striking power originates in the lower body). The other time you do them don't allow yourself to completely recover. Do a set number of hill sprints, enough to really push you hard, and time yourself. Next week try to do the same number in less time.

As for your diet, you need to maintain a balanced diet. No crazy bodybuilding ketogenic fat loss diets. You need enough protein to support recovery, enough carbs to support your frequent training and enough fats to support hormone production and mental health, so keep it balanced and use calorie manipulation to create slow and steady weight loss.

Too many martial artists try to use resistance training to build conditioning, and end up neglecting maximal strength. Use your weight sessions to get brutally strong. I developed scary hard punching and kicking ability through building pure maximal strength and spending plenty of time on the heavy bag.

Add in steady state cardio once a week, either jogging or a cardio machine for a good 20 minutes or so.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
Along with the hill sprints that have already been suggested, I would add an oly style lift to my routine. Power cleans and snatches are great for developing explosive power.
Haven't done snatches in ages will add those to my routine.

Thanks Guys,
Keep the tips coming i will also be starting a log soon enough

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I have to present on opposing position to the olympic lift guys. The olympic lifts require time and training to get really good at them, and if you aren't good at them then you won't be able to load them as effectively as a good ol' squat or deadlift. You need to train as efficiently as possible, because you need to train so many different facets of your physical abilities.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Last edited by Soldier; 08-26-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
BigJosh
BigJosh
"the Grinder"
Max Brawn
Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67 Points: 10,383, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

No one is saying that Power Cleans and Snatches should replace squats and deads.
And they really aren't that hard to learn. No harder than a squat or deadlift if you ask me. Have you ever done them? Just asking. Because seriously people make them sound harder than they really are. Especially power cleans. Shit just ain't that hard to do.

Maybe Maverick should be the judge of what he can and cannot do.
"The fastest way to get strong muscles is also the fastest way to make them bigger. We know what works best to make them strong in the shortest time possible. If you want to get big, do the thing that makes them strong." - Marc Rippetoe
Zdravko Veselin Gaeta

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.

Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Soldier
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
No one is saying that Power Cleans and Snatches should replace squats and deads.
And they really aren't that hard to learn. No harder than a squat or deadlift if you ask me. Have you ever done them? Just asking. Because seriously people make them sound harder than they really are. Especially power cleans. Shit just ain't that hard to do.

Maybe Maverick should be the judge of what he can and cannot do.
I was a weightlifter in high school. My personal best power clean was 275. I think the value of cleans and Olympic lifts in general are overstated. People think that Olympic lifts are the best way to develop explosive strength, but I whole heartedly disagree. They are the best way to get better at Olympic lifts, and the best way to make your joints bend ways they aren't meant to.

People claim that O lifts are good for developing coordination, but coordination drills or just playing ball-based sports are better. They claim that they are good for developing explosive strength, but squats and deadlifts performed explosively along with jumping drills are better. They say that they develop speed, but sprints are better. There's nothing that O lifts develop that can't be more effectively and more SAFELY developed in other ways.

I'm definitely not telling him he can't do them. I'll do some every now and then for fun, but I don't feel any need to include them in any program that ISN'T based on the actual sport of O lifting.
Deadlift- 515
Total- 1295

Share with Facebook