Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,520, Level: 47 Points: 5,520, Level: 47 Points: 5,520, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member
Default QuestBars Apple Pie Review

Quest Bar - Apple Pie

From Quest Nutrition

www.questproteinbar.com

This isn't something I would normally do a review on, but I felt like these needed it. Many years ago I would spend money crap protein bars from gas stations, Wal-Mart were ever I could find one. Normally when traveling or every great once in a while I would grab one for work. Overtime they get a little expensive, but I also got smarter and learn actually learned more about nutrition. Most if not all the bars I was buying were High in Soy Protein, high calories, loaded with Sugar and so on. So I stopped buying protein bars all together. No years later, I'm wondering the mall as the wife is shopping and walked in to GNC just to see how much they price gouge their customers. I never buy anything from there and just go into get a laugh, but this time I was a little hungry too. I just happened to walk by the Protein bars and picked a few up and started to read the packages. I came across the Quest bars. I flipped it over and read the Ingredients. Which was short and their Protein blend didn't have Soy in it. They used Whey Protein Isolate and Milk Protein Isolate, for a total of 20g of Protein. Not bad for just a few bites of a bar.

All the ingredients: Protein blend (Whey protein isolate, Milk protein isolate), Isomalto-Oligossaccharides, Almonds, Water, Apples, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Lo Han Guo, Sucralose.

A couple of Ingredients are new to me. One being Lo Han Guo. After a little research I found what it was. Lo Han Guo is also called Siraitia grosvenorii in China. China has been using it for a low Calorie Sweetener. Lo Han Guo is 300 times sweeter than sugar. So it?s sweet and has fewer calories. That?s a plus.

The other ingredient I didn?t recognize was Isomalto-Oligossaccharides. Which it does stat that it is a Fiber. Well, as explained on the label, it is a natural prebiotic plant fiber. It?s a Prebiotic which is a non-digestible ingredient. What this does is increase the number/increase the activity of the good bacteria in the colon. It improves the digestive track and helps strengthen the immune system.

Ok enough of what all is in it. We now know it?s good for you and a lot of times. This means it taste like dirt. I have the Apple Pie? When I first opened it up, it didn?t look that good. It?s just a light brown gummy clay like bar. Actually doesn?t? look good at all. After the first bite I was way off. It?s kind of hard to explain. It?s chewy but not to chewy were it takes 1/2hr to chew each bite. It seems to have small pieces of dried apples in it. The Apple Pie is pretty good. No complaints here.

When do I use this Bar? Not Daily or not even weekly. I use this bar when I know I?ll be away from home for a while with no chance of pre-making anything. Say like heading to a theme park. I can?t carry a cooler around or a Shaker cup all day. So I?ll just grab one of these and throw it in the wives purse.

These are priced about the same as any other protein bar. At $25 for a box of 12, this is about $2 a bar. I don?t think that?s too bad really. 20g of Whey Protein wrapped and ready to go. When you buy them one at a time, you?ll spend $2.39 plus tax at your local GNC or supplement store. So you can save a few bucks and just buy the box from Quest Nutrition. Which when I got my two boxes in, They even through in an extra bar of a different flavor. So over all I?m impressed with Quest Nutrition bars and there Customer Service. When making there Bars they didn?t cut any corners or use a bunch of cheap ingredients.

References

"The Plant List"
Ling Yeouruenn, A New Compendium of Materia Medica, 1995 Science Press, Beijing.

Dharmananda S (2004). Luo han guo: Sweet fruit used as sugar substitute and medicinal herb. Inst Trad Med Online. Retrieved 30 October 2012

Dharmananda S (2004). Luo han guo: Sweet fruit used as sugar substitute and medicinal herb. Inst Trad Med Online. Retrieved 30 October 2012

Gibson GR, Roberfroid MB (Jun 1995). "Dietary modulation of the human colonic microbiota: introducing the concept of prebiotics". J Nutr. 125 (6): 14011412. PMID 7782892.

Roberfroid MB (2007). "Prebiotics: The Concept Revisited". J Nutr. 137 (3 Suppl 2): 830S7S. PMID 17311983
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,071, Level: 96 Points: 26,071, Level: 96 Points: 26,071, Level: 96
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

My daughter loves these. I like them. The Fudge Brownie and the Chocolate Chip cookie Dough are both really good if you heat them up a bit. Gives them that "fresh out of the oven" taste even though the texture doesn't match.

IMHO, too expensive to daily.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Grambo
Grambo
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,740, Level: 38 Points: 3,740, Level: 38 Points: 3,740, Level: 38
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15 Years
Grambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributorGrambo is a dedicated contributor

Agreed daily it gets expensive but they are easily some of the best on the market with taste (especially heated up).
Their ingredients are also not a huge list of chemicals and things like others.
Grambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Ramrod
Ramrod
Reviews.com
Max Brawn
Points: 5,520, Level: 47 Points: 5,520, Level: 47 Points: 5,520, Level: 47
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 12
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: FOOD
My Mood: Doh
Ramrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master memberRamrod is a master member

Might be to Good to be true... From what I have read the owners of Quest Bars have ran Shady Bossiness in the past this isn't something new to them.

http://romanoroberts.com.mx/quest-ba...abel-lawsuit//
Ramrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook