Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
tracker
tracker
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

tracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good poststracker has made some good posts
Default Please post some sample routines

I have no idea really what I am doing. Could you post some samples for me such as what you would do on a back and shoulders day versus a leg day? I assume many of you divide your days like this?
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,079, Level: 100 Points: 32,079, Level: 100 Points: 32,079, Level: 100
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

If youre completely new to lifting I would reccomend something like starting strength.

Here is the The Original Starting Strength Novice Program, you alternate between A and B and rest every other day or after 2 days depending on how you feel. 3-4 sessions a week.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
5x3 Power cleans

As you can see there is no "back day" or "leg day" but instead this program hits the entire body on all training days, this forces the whole body into growth and is much faster and more effective than a body part split for a beginner lifter.

Good luck and dont forget to eat alot.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Great advice I'd go with from Swede.

I would just add to start a journal to hold yourself accountable, eat big like he said already, get good sleep, work hard, and learn the proper form. Progression is key. Also, learn to listen to your body.

Good luck on your journey Tracker!
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
big_swede
big_swede
Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 32,079, Level: 100 Points: 32,079, Level: 100 Points: 32,079, Level: 100
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
My Mood: Yeehaw
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Great advice I'd go with from Swede.

I would just add to start a journal to hold yourself accountable, eat big like he said already, get good sleep, work hard, and learn the proper form. Progression is key. Also, learn to listen to your body.

Good luck on your journey Tracker!
Good points Jim!

Also, after a while (maybe 6 months?) when you are starting to get bored with the simplicity of starting strength, there is nothing wrong with changeing things up and experiment even if youre gaining on SS.

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Great advice by Swede and Squatter. However, even before using Starting Strength, I'd make sure I could complete some basic body weight exercise goals and have a basic level of conditioning. Can you do 30 solid push-ups? Can you do 50 below parallel body squats? Can you do at least 5 chin-ups or 20 Fat-Man Pull-ups? Can you run (10) 40 yard sprints without completely gassing-out? If not, you can spend the next month getting this stuff sorted out while you investigate weight lifting routines and eating requirements. The fitness and strength gained with be an excellent start to your foundation as you enter the gym.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Squatter
Squatter
is a Crazy Canuck
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94 Points: 23,944, Level: 94
Activity: 96% Activity: 96% Activity: 96%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
My Mood: Happy
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Damn it anyway OR - I better get busy with some conditioning as I am not sure I could do that, with the exception of the squats tho!
Bench: 253 lbs
Deadlift: 463 lbs
Total: 1119 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 290 lbs
Deadlift: 510 lbs
Total: 1295 Lbs
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Off Road
Off Road
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Better get started
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
deadliftpete
deadliftpete
has no status.
New Brawn
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

deadliftpete has made some quality postsdeadliftpete has made some quality postsdeadliftpete has made some quality postsdeadliftpete has made some quality postsdeadliftpete has made some quality postsdeadliftpete has made some quality posts

Great advice given. I am sure that you have learned quite a bit already. I suggest you follow the program above as well, and make sure to that you eat enough. When I first started I did not eat like I should have, but I have since learned that I can stuff my face with more goodness.
deadliftpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook