Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fat Intake for Muscle Building

I received an email this morning telling me my fat intake recommendations are outdated, and that fat should only be based on body weight. A liter should never eat more than their bodyweight dictates.

I believe my recommendation was to an 18 year old with a fast metabolism. I told him to eat 30-35% of his daily calories from fats.

This is a good example of science meeting reality, and reality winning.

Here we have an 18 year old kid who needs 4000 calories to grow. he has a hard enough time getting in his calories to begin with. So what are guys telling him to do? Limit protein and fats because of some study.

The result is that he is forced to rely very heavy on carbs. This is not only an unbalanced approach, and I don't care for such things, but it also makes it harder for this kid to get in his calories.

So that's my opinion.

What say you?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Hunterace
Hunterace
is mental!!!
I'm quitting next week!
Max Brawn
Points: 17,242, Level: 83 Points: 17,242, Level: 83 Points: 17,242, Level: 83
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Well if the lifter is in it for lifestyle and not just training for 6 months then stopping. I'd say have him try both ways... 3 months of the really high carb diet and fat based on body weight, and 3 months of more protein and fat and compare his gains. I'm sure his gains will be far better on the increased protein and fat!

~~~2 Chronicles 15:7 ~~~
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.

!!!MY HEAD HURTS!!!
My Training Log
http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/sho...734#post494734
Hunterace is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Fats are good for joints and hormone/lipid production. I'm not a fan of low protein, low fat, high carb. With bulking, I am more a fan of increasing fat and protein intake and maybe, slightly increasing carbs.

Every time my weight gained stalled, I upped my fat and protein content and my gains would restart again. Swapped steak for chicken, increased almonds, and more olive oil and butter. Lather, rinse, repeat.

That email is why guys are rails and not tanks.

People need to stop it with the "science" of macros and focus more on the "simple math" of calories in versus calories out. Especially when they want to get huge. If you are cutting, different story. But this is a guy trying to bulk.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
markievicz
markievicz
is a Squataholic
Max Brawn
Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73 Points: 12,812, Level: 73
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
My Mood: Lurking
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC View Post
That email is why guys are rails and not tanks.
awesome phrase!

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
bruteforce
bruteforce
is Mr. Competitor
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,232, Level: 79 Points: 15,232, Level: 79 Points: 15,232, Level: 79
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Anytime I see something like "a lifter should never" is it isn't followed by something along the lines of "deadlift on a bosu ball" I'm skeptical of the advice.

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
ricka182
ricka182
is taking small steps.. then GIANT leaps to domination!!!
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
My Mood: Sick
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

I agree with you BTB. It is hard for a person who only knows of an online study, or hearsay from others without doing their own research, to understand proper nutrition..

The recco's online are not geared for people like us, who want more than basic fitness, health and strength.

Follow the "guidelines", and you will either be a succesful, albeit, little person, or fail miserably and become a fatty looking for someone else to blame. Or, follow the sound advice given from people who can back it up, like you, and achieve goals, strength, and a better life overall.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.High triglycerides driven by carbohydrate consumption Ľ The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Never heard of the bodyweight "theory" but can't say that it makes sense given that people need to eat what the body requires and a smaller person can still require more calories than a bigger person depeding on their metabolism, so to base everything on bodyweight would mean no gains, basically, in that scenario.

The link above is quite good for anyone interested; I was actually looking for a carb/triglyceride study.

Share with Facebook