Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fat Loss - Advice from Successful Lifters

Posting advice from successful lifters, bodybuilders, powerlifters and even (gasp) fitness models on how to cut fat properly while maintaining strength and muscle.

Feel free to add your own quotes.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100 Points: 1,351,351, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Maik Weidenbach, top Musclemania competitor:

Bodybuilding Contest Prep - The 3 Biggest Mistakes | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
At first you cut your calories by 500 a day. Your diet is responsible for 80+% of what you will look like, so it pays off to be meticulous in that department.

After two to three weeks of reduced calories, I start adding cardio for about 2x30 minutes per week. If you keep getting leaner while keeping your strength, stick with that approach. If not, I suggest cutting the calories further by 200/daily and adding a third cardio session. If your strength drops more than 15%, bump your calories (especially carbohydrates) by 40% for two to three days in order to upregulate the metabolism.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Cliff Wilson, How A Slowing Metabolism Happens:

Quote:
He was maintaining his body weight with about 3000 calories per day in the offseason, so he begins by cutting to 1600 calories and starts by doing an hour of cardio a day. This really gets things moving as he loses several pounds in the first few weeks. Eventually things begin to slow down though.

After a few more weeks fat loss has pretty much stalled, so our competitor, who is already eating very little, decides to cut out all carbs and lower his fat intake down to 20-30 grams per day. This gets things moving again but not nearly as fast as in the beginning. After another few weeks fat loss stops again. Since he really can't eat much less than he is currently eating, our competitor has no choice but to add another hour of cardio per day.

Fat loss barely crawls along for the next few weeks before it inevitably stops altogether. Our competitor is exhausted, has no energy to train, is eating no carbs, very little fat, and doing 2-3 hours of cardio per day, but the scale does not budge. There is still more fat he needs to lose, but our competitor is out of luck. His metabolism has stalled and it is not going to give up any more fat.

This is exactly the type of situation that leads to a huge metabolic slowdown and makes it nearly impossible to lose any fat
Quote:
Fat loss should not be rushed. You need to allow plenty of time to diet. You should aim to lose no more than 2 lbs. of fat per week and preferably keep a rate of 1-1.5 lbs. lost per week. This will ensure that muscle loss is minimized.
Quote:
If fat intake is too low there will not be enough fatty acids available for optimal testosterone production. This will lead to lower testosterone levels. Low testosterone leads to greater muscle loss during prep, meaning a lower metabolic rate.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Noob lifter
Max Brawn
Points: 17,404, Level: 84 Points: 17,404, Level: 84 Points: 17,404, Level: 84
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well ... would you know it, I instinctively picked on a fairly similar approach. When I start feeling weak, I back off a bit, increase calories somewhat, gain some strength and slowly taper down the calories again.

Similarly with the cardio - started off with deficit diet and 2-3 weeks later added in cardio to bump up the weight loss.

Even the fat intake part rings true. One of my favorite meals on a cut is protein powder mixed with heavy whipping cream / large whole egg omelets (6 eggs and more), etc - i.e. plenty of fat sources.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Shaka Smith on carb cycling:

Men's Physique Six Pack Freak Shaka Smith Talks To M&S | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
It has been really important for me. I competed in 11 shows in 11 months and mid-way through, I found carb cycling was the best way for me to stay super lean in between shows. I prefer a 4/1 carb cycle and keep my low days under 40g-60g of carbs and my high days between 160-180g.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Rosie Chee

Muscle Revolution! Rosie Chee Talks To M&S | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
Don't “diet”! Find the nutritional protocol that works for you, constantly adapting and adjusting it (as you should your training), so that you keep making progress and getting results in the direction of your goals.
Quote:
Lack of correct nutrition - for all but a rare few, nutrition is the determining factor in whether or not they are successful in achieving their muscle accretion and/or fat loss goals.

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Joseph NG, undefeated Men's Physique champion:

Undefeated Men's Physique Champion Joseph Ng Talks To M&S | Muscle & Strength

Quote:
The most common mistake while cutting/dieting would be trying to cut too fast. The number one goal while dieting should be to retain as muscle as possible, and a drastic crash diet is a sure fire way to lose muscle. When dieting keep the fat loss slow and steady.

Share with Facebook