Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Muscle Building and Bodybuilding

Notices

Muscle Building and Bodybuilding Topics related to muscle building, bodybuilding, including training and fullbody workouts. If you are looking for great advice on gaining muscle this forum is for you.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts
Default Who built a great body with full body workouts?

First of I want to say sorry for once gain repeating a stupid comment made by a trainer at my gym as I did not want to do this again however I just could not let this one go. Today I was told this by a trainer

“Full body workouts are such a terrible way to train, no one is going get a great body on a full body routine “

Please give me some examples of people who have used full body workouts to build an awesome physique and that you are almost certain did not use steroids

Thanks for any response
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,807, Level: 94 Points: 23,807, Level: 94 Points: 23,807, Level: 94
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
First of I want to say sorry for once gain repeating a stupid comment made by a trainer at my gym as I did not want to do this again however I just could not let this one go. Today I was told this by a trainer

“Full body workouts are such a terrible way to train, no one is going get a great body on a full body routine “

Please give me some examples of people who have used full body workouts to build an awesome physique and that you are almost certain did not use steroids

Thanks for any response
Most classic bodybuilders till 1950s, before the steroid era used full body routines. Here's a sampling of the better known bodybuilders from that era.

John Grimek

Reg Parks

Steve Reeves

Clarence Ross

Alan Stephan

Jack Delinger

George Eifferman

Dick Dubois (if I am not mistaken, at least while he trained with Reeves)

Manohar Aich (picture at the age of 94)

And even sweet baby Arnold - starting out, before getting on roids, Arnold idolized Reg Parks and followed 5x5 routines. Evidently, they worked pretty well for him too, as evidenced by his photographs at the age of 17

Amongst the modern day natties, Tony Montalbano trains almost exclusively on full body routines, especially during the off season.

Last edited by kitarpyar; 09-14-2012 at 10:48 PM.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
70sBB
70sBB
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22 Points: 1,504, Level: 22

70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts70sBB has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
Most classic bodybuilders till 1950s, before the steroid era used full body routines. Here's a sampling of the better known bodybuilders from that era.

John Grimek

Reg Parks

Steve Reeves

Clarence Ross

Alan Stephan

Jack Delinger

George Eifferman

Dick Dubois (if I am not mistaken, at least while he trained with Reeves)

Manohar Aich (picture at the age of 94)

And even sweet baby Arnold - starting out, before getting on roids, Arnold idolized Reg Parks and followed 5x5 routines. Evidently, they worked pretty well for him too, as evidenced by his photographs at the age of 17

Amongst the modern day natties, Tony Montalbano trains almost exclusively on full body routines, especially during the off season.
Rep +
70sBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Glad you mentioned Arnold. Even the now infamous "Arnold routine" looked more like a mutated fullbody than a modern split.

I believe Arnold had 19" arms by the age of 19. I am speculating based on picture that he had built 80% of his mass before he had moved beyond basic programs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
abett07
abett07
has no status.
Brawn
Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35 Points: 3,343, Level: 35

abett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good postsabett07 has made some very good posts

if someone uses a fullbody workout does it mean that they are almost certainly not on steroids?
abett07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
kitarpyar
kitarpyar
is a rank novice now
Max Brawn
Points: 23,807, Level: 94 Points: 23,807, Level: 94 Points: 23,807, Level: 94
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Training Type: Fullbody
My Mood: Aggressive
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Quote:
if someone uses a fullbody workout does it mean that they are almost certainly not on steroids?
Not necessarily.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100 Points: 1,478,514, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Absolutely not.

Hard work is hard work is hard work. If you work your tail off you'll gain on nearly any program. The program is not the magic. People obsess about the minutiae of programming way too much.

Modern bodybuilding has become all about beating the snot out of bodyparts. It works, but that doesn't mean if 99% of these guys were born into fullbody era that they wouldn't be just as big. They would because they train hard, listen to their bodies and evolve their training.

Because it has become the norm to hit each bodypart with a lot of work, bodybuilders require more rest between training days. It's not just the muscles being demolished, but the joints, connective tissue, etc.

I guarantee if you forced them to use fullbodies they would modify these workouts in ways to get the same results. They would do what it took, with focus and intensity, and get it done.

Look at DC training...it's nothing more than a simple A/B split. It's low volume, 3 days per week, but uses rest pause to up the ante'. A lot of guys are getting huge off DC training. Is it magic? No. What DC training reveals is that if you work hard, you might not need a bazillion sets per bodypart after all - and that frequency might actually be an option.

I want to repeat...people obsess way too much about splits and the minor parts of programming that really don't matter (yet). People who are successful are dedicated, work hard, have attention to detail, modify diet and training to fit their needs, and would succeed in just about any era.

I have interviewed over 100 natural bodybuilders in the last 3-4 years and not a single one uses fullbody workouts. Why? because they are simply not in the magazines. But they are making a strong comeback on the Internet, as is basic training. Balance is being restored because there are more voices.

We as lifters need to stop thinking in terms of fullbody vs. splits and start viewing them in their proper context. Newbs need frequency, form practice and can recover more quickly because of the low relative intensity. They don't need 10 pound flyes or dumbbell laterals. They don't need to bomb, blitz and blast every muscle from every angle using every possible machine and piece of equipment in the gym. They can barely lift a dumbbell without getting DOMS, and can gain doing just about anything if they progress and eat enough. They need to build stability, learn form, and build some semblance of strength. This is just common sense.

Fundamentals and basics first. Build a base, like every other hobby and sport. Marathoners don't start running 10 miles per day. There are many variables at play here. Different recovery needs and demands for different skill levels, form levels, recovery levels, strength levels, whatever levels.

If any trainer doesn't see this, or understand this, ignore them. End of story. They have their heads in a dark hole.

I don't believe it's an either/or question. I believe that both have a time and a place, but they shouldn't be forced. We shouldn't just hop around to programs for random reasons...now I can lift X, I must do a split. Wouldn't it make more sense to base changes on current needs? I think so.

Whatever programming evolves into, it evolves into. Every advanced lifter trains different. They aren't concerned with what programming looks like on paper, nor do most arbitrarily align things for dogmatic reasons. They might stick to splits, but they are highly modified to fit individual needs.

Think...start simple, evolve based on needs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 09-15-2012 at 09:47 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
WilldBill88
WilldBill88
has no status.
King of The Cowboys
Max Brawn
Points: 5,199, Level: 46 Points: 5,199, Level: 46 Points: 5,199, Level: 46
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 2 Years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Yeehaw
WilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beastWilldBill88 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Absolutely not.

Hard work is hard work is hard work. If you work your tail off you'll gain on nearly any program. The program is not the magic. People obsess about the minutiae of programming way too much.

Modern bodybuilding has become all about beating the snot out of bodyparts. It works, but that doesn't mean if 99% of these guys were born into fullbody era that they wouldn't be just as big. They would because they train hard, listen to their bodies and evolve their training.

Because it has become the norm to hit each bodypart with a lot of work, bodybuilders require more rest between training days. It's not just the muscles being demolished, but the joints, connective tissue, etc.

I guarantee if you forced them to use fullbodies they would modify these workouts in ways to get the same results. They would do what it took, with focus and intensity, and get it done.

Look at DC training...it's nothing more than a simple A/B split. It's low volume, 3 days per week, but uses rest pause to up the ante'. A lot of guys are getting huge off DC training. Is it magic? No. What DC training reveals is that if you work hard, you might not need a bazillion sets per bodypart after all - and that frequency might actually be an option.

I want to repeat...people obsess way too much about splits and the minor parts of programming that really don't matter (yet). People who are successful are dedicated, work hard, have attention to detail, modify diet and training to fit their needs, and would succeed in just about any era.

I have interviewed over 100 natural bodybuilders in the last 3-4 years and not a single one uses fullbody workouts. Why? because they are simply not in the magazines. But they are making a strong comeback on the Internet, as is basic training. Balance is being restored because there are more voices.

We as lifters need to stop thinking in terms of fullbody vs. splits and start viewing them in their proper context. Newbs need frequency, form practice and can recover more quickly because of the low relative intensity. They don't need 10 pound flyes or dumbbell laterals. They don't need to bomb, blitz and blast every muscle from every angle using every possible machine and piece of equipment in the gym. They can barely lift a dumbbell without getting DOMS, and can gain doing just about anything if they progress and eat enough. They need to build stability, learn form, and build some semblance of strength. This is just common sense.

Fundamentals and basics first. Build a base, like every other hobby and sport. Marathoners don't start running 10 miles per day. There are many variables at play here. Different recovery needs and demands for different skill levels, form levels, recovery levels, strength levels, whatever levels.

If any trainer doesn't see this, or understand this, ignore them. End of story. They have their heads in a dark hole.

I don't believe it's an either/or question. I believe that both have a time and a place, but they shouldn't be forced. We shouldn't just hop around to programs for random reasons...now I can lift X, I must do a split. Wouldn't it make more sense to base changes on current needs? I think so.

Whatever programming evolves into, it evolves into. Every advanced lifter trains different. They aren't concerned with what programming looks like on paper, nor do most arbitrarily align things for dogmatic reasons. They might stick to splits, but they are highly modified to fit individual needs.

Great answer!

Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the Walker Dips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,134, Level: 96 Points: 26,134, Level: 96 Points: 26,134, Level: 96
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Absolutely not.

Can you sticky a single post?

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
Kyle Aaron
Kyle Aaron
has no status.
community gym PT
Brawn
Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43 Points: 4,584, Level: 43

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: milk
My Mood: Relaxed
Kyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machineKyle Aaron is a lifting machine

Quote:
And they forget food.

A new client started on Sunday, I introduced him to four guys I've trained. Some have trained for 6 months, some for 2 years. All are reasonably strong by community gym standards, but all of them have pretty much the same physique as they started with. The overweight guy is overweight, the stocky guy is stocky, the runty guy is runty, and so on.

Why? They didn't change their food. It doesn't matter which routine I give them or how well I coach their lifts - if their food stays the same, so will their bodies.

If you eat like a sparrow you cannot expect to be built like an ox. If you eat like a horse you cannot expect to be built like a greyhound.

Food is important, and failure to address it at least as thoughtfully as we address our programmes leads to stalled lifts and our bodies never changing.

I stole from Dan John: the answer to many of your questions is another question, what did you have for breakfast? Most people have a couple of bits of toast, some have (I'm not kidding) chicken mcnuggets. I've never seen their shopping lists, but I'm guessing Steve Reeves and John Grimek didn't have chicken mcnuggets for breakfast. If you can't even get the first meal of your day right then not much else is going to go right for you today.

Share with Facebook