Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Supplements, Nutrition & Diet > Nutrition, Diet and Supplements

Notices

Nutrition, Diet and Supplements Discuss nutrition, diet, cutting and weight loss. Supplement discussions as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Kuytrider
Kuytrider
is Yosif Zhelyazko Lynch
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member
Default Defining protein quality

I asked the owner of my gym about MyProtein.com today. He is a serious lifter and has competed in regional and perhaps national BB comps in the UK. He basically said that the quality of protein in MyProtein's products is garbage and said that a mate of his uses it to feed his animals!

Essentially, he spoke of the different layers of whey used and said that MyProtein uses the lowest quality layer. In his opinion, 1 scoop of a 'higher' quality protein is as good as 2-3 scoops of MP's product because only a half (or less) of MP's powder is absorbed by the body. He did point out that MP are not doing anything illegal but suggested alternatives. He actually sells products from the gym.

Does anyone else think that My Protein's stuff is not the best quality? It is extremely inexpensive.

*Note: I may have not be explaining what he said very well but I do hope you guys have the gist.

Getting it done one session at a time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
My Mood: Lurking
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

When a sup manufacture buys the raw product to make things like whey powder, its just like anything else. There are top quality then there are "the left overs" or as I call it "floor sweepings" these have more contaminants or fillers in them.

Some company buys the left overs because the raw product is cheaper so they can either sell cheaper or make more profit.

When looking at pure whey protein, look at how many weight grams it takes to make a serving vrs the protein grams it has. This will be your first clue on the purity of the product.

EXP: serving size
40grams = 25 grams protein
35grams = 25 grams protein. This one is more pure and worth the $.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100
Activity: 51% Activity: 51% Activity: 51%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The making of whey is a fairly straightforward process. Whey is a byproduct of cheesemaking, and cheesemaking itself isn't generally a progress that requires a substantial number of steps or ingredients. To separate high and low quality layers of whey, whatever that is (if such a thing exists), would actually be more expensive and time consuming, so I am skeptical about his claims. Who makes a process more expensive to create a worse product?

For someone to say that one whey is low quality compared to another, I would want to know specifics. If somehow it is treated differently, then perhaps it is inferior, but I doubt it is inferior on the level he claims.

After whey is collected, it goes through an ion exchange purification process. This process is the most critical step, and the one that allows whey to hold on to it's nutritional value. After this ion exchange, the whey goes through a drying process, and is pretty much done.

Certainly the ion exchange process could be botched chemically, creating an inferior BV (Biological Value) protein, but I think to create something that was this crappy would be very hard to do unless someone was completely clueless. Perhaps this is the case.

Most whey companies get whey from the same limited number of suppliers. From my understanding it arrives as a raw product, and not a product that the protein companies must hit with the ion exchange process themselves.

Perhaps I am wrong, and one of the supplement company reps can expand upon...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Most whey companies get whey from the same limited number of suppliers. From my understanding it arrives as a raw product, and not a product that the protein companies must hit with the ion exchange process themselves.
This is very true to a point. In the main suplier making the raw product it just like any other manufacuring plant. You have diffrent quality product at the end depending on how close to a clean up or after a clean up of there equipment. Then you have anything small amount that are in the fine print on the FDA lable or small enough they don't need to list it, then the sup company adding any fillers and flaverings, this all effect the pureity of the end product. .

IF you looking at protein BV values heres a chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proBVchart.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	4853  

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,553,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think we're on the same page here Rich.

I am merely skeptical that one company's protein is 2x better than another's. I guess we're splitting hairs over degrees. But I am merely speaking out of my a$$.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:

I am merely skeptical that one company's protein is 2x better than another's. I guess we're splitting hairs over degrees. But I am merely speaking out of my a$$.
lol na, I'm just doing my over anal detail thing again. lol

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
lol na, I'm just doing my over anal detail thing again. lol

Well it's not Wisconsin whey, so it sucks.

/The end.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Rich Knapp
Rich Knapp
100% Natural Bodybuilder
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn

Quote:
Well it's not Wisconsin whey, so it sucks.

/The end.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
MC
MC
is plotting World Domination from the Phantom Zone
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
My Mood: Aggressive
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

I take crappy whey (Titan said so). It's cheap, but it works (for me). So, I see no reason to spend upwards of $50 for 5 pounds.

Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
leefarley
leefarley
lifts weights in his shed
Max Brawn
Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57 Points: 7,457, Level: 57
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: protein powder
leefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master memberleefarley is a master member

i use whey protein from myprotein.com so do allot of other people, they have alot of diffrent grade protein at diffrent prices,i always use there cheap whey if my budget allows me i buy there better stuff.
leefarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook