GeezerDude
Brawn
Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14 Points: 719, Level: 14
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 3 1/2 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
My Mood: Amused
GeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributorGeezerDude is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
True, Poor families are faced with tough decisions.

You have to feed your family for a week, but you only have (x)amount of money.

What are you gonna' buy for your family, $6 for (3) all natural granola bars or pay $3 for a Mega Family sized pack of (24)Jumbo Honey Bunns?

Which will last longer?

If your broke you just don't have a ton of options, unless your willing to give up other things.

The real problem (I think) is that people care more about wealth/money then they do about their own health.

Money comes first, health comes second. Sad...
I agree with this to a certain extent. But why take the time and effort to feed your kids when you know someone else is going to do this for you. After all, this might require not getting your nails done, not having a nice set of wheels or a stereo in your car. Might have to give up the movie channel's on the cable TV. Let's not suggest anyone give up their weed and liquor.

My frame of reference on this is I grew up poor in the inner city, and currently am employed by an organization which deals predominantly with the poor of our community.

It is all about priorities in a good many cases. I am all for assisting those who can not do for themselves. But something I have learned over the years is there is a difference between a poor family and a financially broke family. Poor is a mindset, while financially broke is just a status to be overcome. I had the good fortune to be raised by parents who taught us that just because we had little money, it did not mean we had to be poor.

My community feeds free lunches to the kids as well as free breakfast. When school is over for the summer, they continue this program during the summer break. And it keeps growing and growing every year.
GeezerDude is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook