View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanRugs View Post

I cannot seem to understand why I feel bad for hypertrophy based exercises though?! It's so stupid. I feel bad for imlrpving my physical condition lol. Such a weirdo aren't I haha! I can't figure this one out
Perhaps you have a tendency to internalise rules and advice very strongly. Any sense that you're deviating from these becomes anxiety-provoking.

I'll give you an example. My students are a few weeks from their exams. Tomorrow I will remind them that they should be doing around 4-5 hours a week independent study. Now some will ignore that guideline completely, and some will more-or-less follow it. But inevitably a small percentage will not only do it, but will obsess over it and be extremely anxious if they feel they're not doing enough. I can't stop them from taking the message to heart far too much. They over-learn social rules.

If you've had problems with eating in the past, perhaps there were similarities to your current preoccupation? So you want to get it right, and tend to treat 'getting it right' in very black and white terms - good food and bad food, good exercises and bad exercises? Just a thought.

I often think humans are a unique species in that we can have everything we need to thrive - food, a pleasant environment, work - and we still invent problems for ourselves. It's not just you. We all do it in different ways.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook