Max Brawn
Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78 Points: 14,521, Level: 78
Activity: 55% Activity: 55% Activity: 55%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Inspired
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

When I first laid out my cube plan, I had squats first in the week. But when I read the kingpin plan it wasn't as flexible as the original cube plan, and I decided to basically follow it as written. I had major qualms about starting things off with a heavy deadlift day, seeing as I haven't deadlifted heavy in quite a while, but I'm committed to following the plan as written, so a heavy deadlift day is exactly what I did today. I did, however, end up tossing out one movement because I started to feel a twinge in my left hamstring. Luckily, nothing popped, but I do wonder if it would have if I had kept pushing it.

No worries. I was going to be sore anyways, and I don't have to do any more heavy work this week. In 3 weeks time when I do another heavy deadlift day I'll be more prepared to really hit it hard. Today I just got the work done and babied it a little. I did, however, actually use a little more weight than listed. But that's because I estimated my max, and probably estimated a bit low. I'll have a real max to use next cycle.

Upper body warm up, done with 2 1/2lb plates-
20 lateral raises
20 rotator cuff raises
20 bent over OHP's
20 read delt flies

Conventional deadlift-
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2

Deadlift from boxes-
365x3
365x3

I was supposed to do a couple sets of deficit deads at this point, but I was getting worried about my hamstring. It didn't feel too good at all.

Pendlay rows-
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x10

I kept these fairly light. Normally I do them heavy, but I wanted to get in lots of clean reps. I kept my grip fairly wide to hit my upper back/traps.

Shrugs-
135 for 3 sets to failure. I'll be using a lot more weight on these when I have straps and my hamstring isn't so tweaky.

EZ curls-
75x10
75x10
75x10

Spotted pullups-
3 sets to failure

I'm supposed to do 3 sets of pullups at the end, but I couldn't do more than a couple after all the pulls and curls. So I put a chair behind me and put my feet up on it.

Cool down, done with 5lb plates-
20 lateral raises
20 rotator cuff raises
20 bent over OHPs
20 rear delt flies

I was also supposed to do a little ab work at the end of my session, but it actually hurt my hamstring to do anything, so I called it a day.

During my session I had 2 cups of chocolate milk and 2 granola bars. Now I'm getting ready to have 2 BBQ chicken sandwiches, and that'll be it for carbs until my bench session Wednesday.

I was going to

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook