Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #53
jaymax
jaymax
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Amused
jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldbull View Post
Thats alot of volume. i LIKE THE 5 SINGLES, BUT 5X5? Y NOT 3 SINGLES THEN 2X5?
Well Sheiko, Ditillo, etc. might argue that more volume/sets at a useful percentage (~70-80%) will lead to a greater strength adaptation providing you can recover from it. But as Starr referenced in his article with some people he had them use 3 sets of 5 if you couldn't recover from that much work.

I can tell by your lifts that you're advanced and as such are probably more aware of what YOU can recover from than anyone else. I personally don't find 5x5 to be too much volume if you have decent work capacity and did not have any issues recovering from it last time I used it for bench and squat. Mind you those 10 sets would be your entire workout for that lift if you chose to do it. This volume isn't dissimilar to Westside if you're getting 3-5 lifts over 90% with a main lift, followed by lots of volume on accessory work. If you're a super low volume guy - and I'm not - then maybe just 2-3 down sets would work best for you. The "original" westside guys used to do 5 singles and 1 set of 10 even.

Last edited by jaymax; 01-27-2014 at 05:29 PM.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook