Old 01-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #49
jaymax
jaymax
has no status.
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31 Points: 2,632, Level: 31
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

My Mood: Amused
jaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributorjaymax is a consistent contributor

Sorry if the article post was too much. I'm sure Steve can move it and reference it with a link if he wants.

Anyway just thought I'd comment on the way I like to do this. Similar to what Starr recommends I do the singles and fives and don't add weight until I get them all. However, I set the fives at a challenging enough weight that they become the limiting factor in progression. This way your singles are challenging but you're sure to get them and then your 5x5 drives the progression.

I've personally found that ~90%+ and 75% to be about right. With fatigue after 5 heavy singles the 5x5 with 75% should be difficult so you may not get it the first week. I've heard plenty of fairy tales about post-synaptic facilitation and, while the weights do feel lighter after the singles, I've never been able to lift more. Contrary, you're not longer fresh and fatigue affects your rep endurance. I also keep a strict 3 minute rest period between all sets. Last night I just did singles with 350 and fives with 295 failing only on my last set of fives. Next time I'll likely get all the fives and move to 355 and 300.
jaymax is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook