Max Brawn
Points: 13,661, Level: 76 Points: 13,661, Level: 76 Points: 13,661, Level: 76
Activity: 46% Activity: 46% Activity: 46%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Back when I was in AIT (Army job training) I had a group of guys who went to the gym with me. They knew that I knew my stuff and generally listened to me, so I wanted to give them a good, simple program that would give them all what they were looking for whether it was strength, performance, or size. This is the basic template we all used and everyone was happy with thier results, so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Be forewarned, there's nothing ground-breaking here.

Each session was quick and simple, with only 3 movements. We alternated upper and lower body, sometimes going all 5 weekdays in a row. Each session involved 1 heavy compound movement done for low-mid reps and 2 isolation/assistance movements done for mid-high reps.

On upper body days we would simply alternate which muscle group got used on the compound movement. So we would hit chest with a compound movement, then do shoulders and back after with higher reps, then the next day we would start with back, the next day shoulders, then back to chest. It was painfully simple.

So a week would look like this-

Day 1-
Bench, 5x5
Pullups, 5x5-8
Lateral raise, 5x8-12

Day 2-
Squat, 5x5
SLDL, 5x8-12
Leg extension, 5x10-20

Day 3-
Chest supported rows- 5x5
Cable X-overs- 5x10-20
Dumbell OHP- 5x8-12

Day 4-
Leg press- 5x5
SLDL- 5x8-12
Leg extension, 5x10-20

Day 5-
OHP, 5x5
Pulldowns, 5x8-12
Dumbell incline bench, 5x8-12

All we tried to do was PR the first movement of the day, either with volume, rep PR, or weight PR. These sessions never took over an hour.

Don't underestimate what higher frequency/lower volume can do. This was perfect for us because;
1. We didn't have much time. If we trained too long then we would miss our window to eat at the dining facility and have to buy the meal. Not good to do every day.
2. We couldn't get ourselves too sore. We had to do PT every day and if anything was overly sore it would really hinder our ability to keep up during PT.
Goals-
Win.

Last edited by Soldier; 11-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook