Max Brawn
Points: 13,523, Level: 75 Points: 13,523, Level: 75 Points: 13,523, Level: 75
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

A quick thought on squating. I'm really tired of people attributing an entire list of technique "rules" to each hold. If you squat high bar, you have to use a narrow stance and stay more upright. If you squat low bar, you have to widen your stance and stick your butt out.

Bullshit! Look at Eric Lillebridge's new low bar style; narrow stance and still very upright. The switch to low bar means his leverages are improved, but his squat looks essentially the same.

Lately I've been using a low bar hold and a very narrow stance. I've also been trying to keep my chest up, which is a massive change for me. Thanks to this change I've been able to use rebound better than ever before, and I've also had awesome quad devlopment.

I'll never understand how it came to be that the hold determined how the entire squat must be performed. Think about it. WHY do you have to stick out your butt more with a low bar hold? Realistically, no reason at all. We've just been told that's how to do it.

Experiment! Try more extreme things than you've ever tried before. Try putting your feet wider than you think you should. Try staying more upright than you think you should. Try a more narrow stance than you even think is possible (Not all at the same time, and with light weights, of course). When you experiement with extremes you'll get extreme changes that allow you to figure out what works and what doesn't, and vary the extremes to find a form that works for you.

The only rule is to go deep. Everything else is negotiable!
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links