Kleurplaay
is growing stronger!
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28 Points: 2,235, Level: 28
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: dat dere eggs
My Mood: Cheeky
Kleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributorKleurplaay is a dedicated contributor

Thanks for all the replies folks! You're right that there's no need to change anything if what you're currently doing is working. I just think it'd be fun to do singles somewhat regularly to get used to handling heavy weights. I'll try it out once and see how it effects the rest of my workout/how I feel the next day and I'll let you guys know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Great advice from big swede. If it is fun, do it!

That said, I am not sure where you are at in your training "life" (beginner, intermediate, advanced) so take this with a grain of salt. I would start doing sets of 5 before I started doing singles. After I had done sets of 5 for a while, I would start incorporating triples. Going down to singles, you will be shifting your focus from volume to intensity based training which will condition your CNS and build strength more so than it will generate muscular hypertrophy. Perfect example, I put 150lbs on my deadlift this year doing singles (I was a deadlift noob and started training my deadlift at the beginning of the year), but I did not gain any weight while doing so while staying at pretty close to the same bodyfat% I started at.

I think it is fine to incorporate low volume/high intensity into a routine, but if you like what you are doing and you are making progress toward your goals, then there is no reason to change if your sole focus isn't strength.

I still bodybuild in the 6-15 rep range with assistance exercises though. Main lifts are kept to singles, doubles and triples with the occasional 5 in there.
Exactly why I asked here if it'd be a good idea! I still have lots of muscle to gain before it would be sensible to switch to very high intensity training. I'd like to eventually get a sickening powerlifting total (hehe) but I'm still building my 'base' (which I will be doing for a long time still probably.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Kleurplaay; 11-18-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Kleurplaay is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook