Max Brawn
Points: 7,613, Level: 58 Points: 7,613, Level: 58 Points: 7,613, Level: 58
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 12+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
My Mood: Lurking
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The "anti" article was interesting, but it fails on several levels - namely when talking isolation exercises. Isolation exercises are not the most mechanically efficient way to move a weight away from, or towards the body.

Exercises like side laterals, flyes, leg extensions, etc., are not mechanically efficient ways of lifting, so accordingly the weight we use is limited. I think this is an obvious point, but one I wanted to make anyway.

The article implies that the power from isolation exercises provide "higher muscular tension":

If a tension is placed upon the body, but is done so by a less then "mechanically efficient" means, is this tension more beneficial then the tension from a heavy weight in a mechanically sound position? I am fairly certain that the tension on my quads is greater during half squats then it is during leg extensions.

Quite frankly I find this point to be more scientific speculation then reality. The stresses on my body when I am under 450 to 500 pounds is insane. My biceps and shoulders alone are contracting so hard that I end up with strains just from holding the weight. And in lowering the weight my body feels like it is going to be crushed.

And when I bench heavy, I often feel bicep pumps and my legs shake sometimes uncontrollably. This reaction is due to the heavy demands on my muscles, and I will never achieve this from flyes or pec dec.

If I hold 500 pounds while standing upright, in a manner of seconds I notice muscles working that I never thought were involved heavily with the deadlift. My glutes quiver and tingle and my quads want to twitch.

I think heavier weight DOES provide higher degrees of muscular tension. In fact, I am certain that the author has never personally felt these stresses.

Just my opinion. I reserve the right to be wrong.
agreed
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook