Uber Brawn
Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23 Points: 1,663, Level: 23
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Chaos & Pain
Fav Exercise: Squat, push-press
Fav Supp: Mr. Hyde & whiskey
My Mood: Aggressive
MadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributorMadScientistOfMaB is a dedicated contributor

From a mathematical perspective (just worked it out on paper because I wanted to see if math really carries over into important things) the difference is in what is increasing not how much the total increase is. Smolov focuses on squat and is a 3 month program. They tell you to expect to add 80 total pounds after both major cycles. My drunk russian bench focus tends to add 30 lbs after 8 weeks (2 months). I will also estimate (because I haven't done DL focus in awhile) that it would be roughly the same as squat for intermediate lifter (tends to drop off faster in experienced lifters after about 700 lbs).

The problem is focusing on one stops or massively slows progress in the other two. Running 6 months of specialized training (for me) yields an overall gains of 125 lbs to my total over half a year. This means that each month I would gain an average of about 20 lbs. This is great until you realize that all an intermediate lifter would need to do is add 5 lbs to bench 7.5 to squat and DL each month too keep up with that...

PS this is a one person study so it is highly prone to error.
Experimentation is the word of the day here, and you're going to be like a mad scientist, tinkering with your diet until you've turned yourself into a massive, world-destroying robot bent on nothing short of the subjugation and destruction of the entire human race.
-Jamie Lewis (Chaos&Pain)

Nothing exceeds like excess.

HT: 5'10" WT: 220
Deadlift 455 Squat 405
Bench 355 Push-press 275

Last edited by MadScientistOfMaB; 11-08-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add PS
MadScientistOfMaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook