Max Brawn
Points: 10,388, Level: 67 Points: 10,388, Level: 67 Points: 10,388, Level: 67
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: yes
Fav Supp: meat
My Mood: Lurking
KD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite memberKD5NFW is an elite member

Posole

A good base for you to start building your own posole to your taste. Serve with cornbread or flour tortillas.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder (I use 3+ lbs.)
1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves (I eliminate the cloves, don't like 'em)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
oregano, pinch
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (to taste, which is more for me)
1/2 teaspoon cloves (yuk)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (again to taste, which is more)
4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed, try to get a Mexican brand (I use 6-8 cups)
3 to 5 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder (use as much as needed)
1-2 cups canned chopped green chilies (if you can, roast fresh green chilies instead of canned)
2 whole jalapenos, fresh, chopped (or more)

Prepare the onion with the 2 cloves, peel the garlic, chop the onion, peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, chop the green chilies and jalapenos if you are using them. Drain the hominy rinse. Now you are ready to start cooking.

Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.

Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos.

Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat and hominy are tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth. Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.
KD5NFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook