Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #965
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100 Points: 1,507,395, Level: 100
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Hi Steve i'm back again to pick your brains once more!

Do rest periods matter in the gym? A friend of mine told me that i wait too long inbetween sets (about 2 minutes) and he said that i have to shorten the rest periods to build muscle optimally, to which i counter-argued that my goal was to get as many reps out in a set with a heavy weight as possible (8-12) and this rest time range allows me to do that because everytime i shorten it i end up losing reps and all i gained was more sweat on my shirt!

I've always believed that more reps>higher intensity but who is right in this argument?

Cheers
When you are doing intense work (heavy sets), you don't want to limit rest, thus increasing the likelihood that your exercise form will go to heck.

When you are doing rep work, you can train both ways: restricting rest or natural rest periods. Either way works fine as long as progression of weight is involved.

Your friend is wrong, because rest restriction is NOT needed for growth. It's a training preference, not a training necessity.

If you like 8-12 rep sets, then stick with them and focus on maximizing every set for as many reps as possible. Ignore this guy. He's latched onto something he believes is the magic secret and he's wrong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-19-2013 at 10:33 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook