Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
batwhisper
batwhisper
has no status.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

batwhisper is off to a bad start
Default Bench issues...shoulder problems

Been training for over a year. I started out using the SS routine.

Our bench went from 95lbs-165lbs. in that year.

Once we got to the high weight I noticed I was having issues with my shoulder. Nothing terrible, it doesn't interfer with everyday life, but when I bench it isn't the typical "burn" from lifting and I do not want to make it worse.

What I have done to remedy the problem:

-Started lifting lighter and worked my way back up. (To this day I cannot get above 135lbs. without feeling it in the shoulder.)

-Met with a friend who is a Physical Therapist and no stranger to shoulder issues. He gave me workouts to strenghten my shoulders.

-Tried doing Chest flys, dumbbell press, dips, etc. The chest flys I don't feel it engaging my chest at all and the same goes for db press. The dips I can feel too much in the shoulder and stopped.

-Worked like hell on my form. From this I discovered my arms are much longer and therefore when I lower the bar to my chest, my elbows are pointing straight at the ground. Also, had other monitor my form and I guess I have a good form.

-I have tried stopping when my arms are parrallel to the ground, but noticed that the bar is above 3-5 inches above my chest and I don't feel like that is working it very well.

With that being said, I think I am done with bench for a whilel.

My question is, what else can I do besides any form of bench to strengthen and develop my chest.

I have looked into doing a lot of push ups and even getting a weighted vest to help.

It just looks like bench isn't for me right now.
batwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links