afraziaaaa
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29 Points: 2,382, Level: 29
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Whey Protein
afraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machineafraziaaaa is a lifting machine

I am a reformed drinker. I have been on the wagon for two years next month. Before that, I drank to excess and eventually became a daily blackout drunk. I come from a long line of alcoholics so its no surprise that I turned out to be one.

When I was drinking, I couldn't focus on my lifting consistently. I would go for a period of time, make good gains and get drunk all over again for weeks or even months until finally the bottle just grabbed a permanent hold on me and I stayed "gain-less" for about a year and half. The only thing that kept me fit was being on active duty in the Marine Corps for 9 years. For me, drinking is a no-go if I want to make any real progress in the gym, or be of any real use to anyone and live a happy life. I think it is perfectly fine for those who can do it in moderation, but it is not going to make or break you under the iron. Looking for reasons to drink might even be a red flag.

It sounds like the author of the article is talking about a certain type of personality, one who has the propensity to party hard. I think that a risk-taker Alpha type personality who can be ego driven at times does have the potential to excel at strength sports. I haven't found a better high to replace my old drunkenness with than the high of lifting some heavy ass weight that I am not sure if I can lift. Personally, if I put half the energy into chasing "PR highs" as I did into staying drunk, I might do all-right in this sport. I think that is what the author is getting at here.
afraziaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook