Dray
is squatting again! : )
Max Brawn
Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66 Points: 9,945, Level: 66
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: squat
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Where women are concerned, we also have to take in to account that the gym is still considered very much a male domain
Actual weights gyms, yes. Crossfit [whatever they're called]s, not so much. Similarly, as noted in the above post, typical modern gyms - both of these tend to be full o' dem chix, from what I've seen. The only gym that's remotely lifter-friendly around here, is the one I go to, and it's generally full of guys, with the odd woman or two, but only rarely. The other gyms? Totally different, in every way.

Quote:
some women still feel uncomfortable with the metal weight style set-up, even if done at home, it's just not a female domain...much as yoga or step classes would be a "No way!" automatic thought for most men whereas women would be jumping all over themselves with excitement to get to a class (and the DVD set-up, as Jim mentions)...if you know what I mean.

Give a woman a KB (even though it's an old piece of training equipment, newly packaged) and she will more than likely stick with it...stand her in front of a barbell and you may never see her again.
Yep. This is still, unfortunately, broadly true. Or so it would seem, anyway. And so, I'm always hella glad to see women doing the big three, and other BB/DB work. I mean, I try not to stare, lol, but it's great to see. Not that it happens all that often...

Quote:
The other aspect, as mentioned by Henry is that not everyone has a passion for exercise; in fact if you consider who exercises and who has problems sticking to plans, how many of those would have been active as youngsters and how many would have been the sort that didn't like sport/outdoor playing etc whilst they were younger. Is the carryover easier, mentally, for those that enjoyed being active when younger? My parents weren't active, no sports whatsoever, but I recall doing yoga, squash, jogging, football (soccer), judo, Tae Kwon Do, along with small amounts of gymnastics and other stuff.
Indeed. That's how it tends to go. And this is part of why it was so unlikely that I would ever find myself lifting weights, actually - let alone sticking with it! Pure luck / bloodymindedness / other, in my case. Perhaps there are many others, also without a relevant background of any kind, who are however less fortunate / stubborn / other, and thus, never even try, or if they do, will soon give up.

I feel so grateful, to all those people and forces that have had a positive impact in this area, leading to this habit I now have. And I hope that more and more people overcome whatever they might have to, and give it a really good go. I believe that the vast majority would also be pleasantly surprised with what it can do.

My training log

Last edited by Dray; 09-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook
Members of Muscle and Brawn Forums have rated post 406022 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!