View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100 Points: 134,089, Level: 100
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I've come across that article before, and I agree very strongly with about 95% of it. It pretty much sums up my own feelings about most nutrition stuff I read on the internet.

I particularly agree with this:

Quote:
People look at these foods in isolation and assume they’re unhealthy regardless of the context.
Still, I think the idea of clean eating, even if it lacks any real consistent meaning, overall does more good than harm.

Take a 'clean diet' according followers of paleo, for example. Now, I've expressed my views on paleo on MAB before: I've got all sorts of scientific objections to it, and for my money there's absolutely no need to avoid some of the foods that its adherents won't eat. BUT having said all that, a paleo follower is much less likely to be in calorific excess than someone on a regular diet, simply because it's harder to stuff your stomach with high veggies than, say, bread or chocolate. They're going to get a lot of micronutrients and fibre, and there's universal agreement on the benefits of the latter. So for paleo followers (as an example), the concept of clean eating gives them a simple set of rules for eating, which on balance probably does them some good compared to a typical industrialised western diet.

Although a lot of nonsense is written about clean eating, I would sound a note of caution about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Share with Facebook