View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 133,981, Level: 100 Points: 133,981, Level: 100 Points: 133,981, Level: 100
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Good thread.

The trouble is, it is so hard to unpick what works and what doesn't. As lifters, we rarely change one thing at a time to evaluate its effect. And even if we do, you still can't say for certain that a beneficial effect is the result of doing X, because you've got no control group to compare it to. Maybe you would improved without doing X as your body was going through one of its mysterious natural gaining cycles.

Anyway, my own feeling is that the following contribute almost nothing:

foam rolling (feels painful, so it must be doing something...well, not necessarily)

stretching (feels good, so it must be doing something...ditto)

fascial stretching (very little evidence that it's even possible)

aggressive sports massage (just bruises and damages tissue, IMO)

hot baths for recovery

cooldowns after aerobics (maybe I don't understand the science behind it, but it doesn't make any sort of sense to me)

chiropractic manipulations for lifters

box squats for unequipped lifters (no carryover for me)

I could go on...

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook