Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
My Mood: Cheeky
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Looks good!

Depends on varying grip in the 5x5s. The 5x5 sets are more for honing form than for just volume. If your form is tight and you want the variation, there's nothing wrong with that though.

DB Rows are great.

No, rest times on 5x5 are just as long as you need to be ready for next set. Might be 2 min for first couple weeks, but as the sets get harder, up the rest time. This program isn't designed as cardio though. It's all about pushing your top end strength, so take whatever rest you need.

One more thing I will mention is that I went back through my logs and this program was easily the best pressing program I have ever done. Bench went up almost 35-40 pounds in 4.5 months. OHP shot way up too.

Squats and Deadlifts didn't do as well, though. About 30 pounds on squat and deadlifts maybe 15-20. However, I had some form problems back then and working through all those singles with 100% did help me identify my form problems and go a long way towards correcting them in squats and deadlifts.

Jst pointing that out. Probably be different for you. Keep track and see what happens.

I would like to do this program once again and see if it would be different this time around for me.

Makes sense too about this being a great program for bench as the guy who wrote it is a great bencher.

Best squat program so far for me has been JB's BIG, and he's a great squatter.

Now I just need Steve to write me a deadlift program and I'd be set!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook