Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #468
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,148, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
BBOD, I have a question about my dad. He's 51 and has a hip/lower back problem that has scared him off squats/deads all together. Infact he's almost scared of progression and does not want to lift more when he can because of fear of injury. He has only started to work his legs at all ( Leg curls/ Leg Extensions) he doesnt have an actual program to follow and i wonder if you could recommend one or exercises he should do.
I think in his case the best thing to do is to work with his fears. Any form of activity or strengthening is going to help him, especially as he ages.

There are some people who simply won't listen to reason. This can be especially hard with loved ones. At the end of the day it's best to remember that having him exercise at all is a good thing.

I would continue encourage that good behavior. At the end of the day any form of exercise will help with his general health.

Maybe over time as he builds confidence and good habits you can start to show his some transformation stories:

Body Transformations: Amazing Muscle Gain & Fat Loss Transformations | Muscle & Strength

These stories often speak to our loved ones much more than any of our words could.

Quote:
Also i have a sister with cerebral palsy and wheelchair bound who needs help getting in the car ect. Im at college most of time so it leaves my dad alone to help my sister so i know increased strength would be very beneficial to my dad but he does not want to progress past a certain point he just spins his wheels. Any advice on a workout or exercises he should focus on or avoid would be great.

He might be open to exercises like stiff leg dumbbell deadlifts or peg presses. Every moderate weight on these lifts would help to bring up some base strength levels.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook