Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #23
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100 Points: 1,482,261, Level: 100
Activity: 44% Activity: 44% Activity: 44%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCStrong View Post
Beyond recovery, what are some other considerations for the over -forty, lifter?

How much do you feel that age affects (i.e. limits) lift progression and or bodyweight changes for the older versus young lifter?
Well I think there are several benefits an over forty lifter has. They know their bodies well, and their limitations. They also don't have this belief that they are invincible, which can be beneficial as well.

The main limitation is that they do not have a fast metabolism. This commands a more precise eating plan.

I don't generally recommend starting with programs like Starting Strength. It might be better to ease into a lower frequency approach, learn form and then go more frequently as confidence and conditioning improve.

I also don't think over-40s should start with crazy volume, nor crazy splits. 2-3 days per week is plenty.

Plan for the long haul, eat smart, go slow and gains will come. generic, general advice right?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook