View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 PM  
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100 Points: 1,541,050, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default DOMS - Crameri et al (2007)

I referenced this study in a recent video and article. I might have been somewhat confusing in the video. The point I made was that DOMS, or soreness, wasn't from muscle inflammation but from connective tissue inflammation.

Here is a quote that talks about this in greater detail:

Why Your Muscles Get Sore: Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) and Exercise ? Myosynthesis

Quote:
A study by Crameri et al (2007) indicates that muscle damage doesn’t really correlate to soreness...

The pain of DOMS was actually attributed to the inflammation of the extracellular matrix – which is connective tissue that binds the muscle fibers together.

All of this would strongly indicate that connective tissues are the source of the actual pain and soreness, not the muscle fibers themselves. The damaging effects of exercise on actual muscle fibers don’t correlate with pain.

This is of interest because it means that inflammation and pain don’t indicate damaged muscle fibers per se. There’s tissue damage, and muscle fibers can be damaged along with that, but there’s no actual relation between muscle fiber damage and the pain you feel.

Taken together, there’s a very good chance that the processes behind DOMS and those responsible for muscle growth are only loosely related.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-24-2013 at 12:06 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook