Thread: Vitamins
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 128,584, Level: 100 Points: 128,584, Level: 100 Points: 128,584, Level: 100
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheThriller View Post
upper limits are established for most vitamins
Yes - there is information about acute toxicity of vitamins ("if you take more than x mg in a day it may not be safe"), but the problem is that it's really hard to tell what a safe dose is taken over a long period of time.

For example, take this study:

http:
//www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8901854

Here's a quote:

Quote:
A total of 29,133 men aged 50-69 years who smoked five or more cigarettes daily were randomly assigned to receive alpha-tocopherol (50 mg), beta-carotene (20 mg), alpha-tocopherol and beta-carotene, or a placebo daily for 5-8 years (median, 6.1 years)...
Incident cases of lung cancer (n = 894) were identified through the Finnish Cancer Registry and death certificates.
Here're the results:

Quote:
No overall effect was observed for lung cancer from alpha-tocopherol supplementation (relative risk [RR] = 0.99; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.87-1.13; P = .86, logrank test). beta-Carotene supplementation was associated with increased lung cancer risk (RR = 1.16; 95% CI = 1.02-1.33; P = .02, logrank test).
So taking 20my beta-carotene a day significantly increased their risk of developing lung cancer. 20 mg didn't seem a lot, and when I googled it, the first lot of capsules I saw were 14mg each, not a million miles away from that 20mg.

Now, these were smokers in the study, so the results may not generalise. But all the same I think the point holds true: we don't really know what even moderate doses of vitamins do over the long term.Personally, I took industrial amounts of vitamins for longer than their 6.1 years - I now wonder if I'll regret it.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook