Thread: Vitamins
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Tannhauser
Tannhauser
reads long boring books
Max Brawn
Points: 137,894, Level: 100 Points: 137,894, Level: 100 Points: 137,894, Level: 100
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
Is there such as thing as taking too many vitamins? My friend takes a whole slew of them, from a multi to extra vitamin D to calcium and maybe about 6 others.
Yes.

I have a bee in my bonnet about vitamins, so I tend to keep posting the same message on these sorts of threads.

Here's the Cochrane review on antioxidants: Cochrane review

And here's an extract:

Quote:
Our Cochrane review from 2008 demonstrated that antioxidant supplements seem to increase mortality. This review is now updated.
Quote:
The increased risk of mortality was associated with beta-carotene and possibly vitamin E and vitamin A, but was not associated with the use of vitamin C or selenium. The current evidence does not support the use of antioxidant supplements in the general population or in patients with various diseases.
From the conclusions:

Quote:
We found no evidence to support antioxidant supplements for primary or secondary prevention. Beta-carotene and vitamin E seem to increase mortality, and so may higher doses of vitamin A. Antioxidant supplements need to be considered as medicinal products and should undergo sufficient evaluation before marketing.
Or try this:

The Downside of Antioxidants - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook