Old 06-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
5kgLifter
5kgLifter
loves teddy bears...
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Checkers Champion! Mario Kart Extreme! Champion! NG Holdem Champion! Javelin Champion! Mouse Batting Champion! Keno Champion!
Training Type: Other
My Mood: Cynical
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I agree. For my son, I started him on bar dips and light military press when he could do 3 sets of 20 reps on his push-ups. I think you have to take the individual into consideration, but either way, 100 push-ups is a LOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I agree. Some people are more ready than others, especially some adults.

When I got back into things in 2007 I used pushups, chair dips, rack chins and situps for a month before I hit the weights. I just felt so horribly out of shape that this seemed like a good option.

I get a ton of questions from teens looking for a launching point, many of then 13 to 14. I am always hesitant to launch them right into weights, so this gives me food for thought.
Yeah, as a teen, I did sit-ups every morning before school (went through a phase); and every evening, did 100 bodyweight calf raises and 100 squats, as well as push-ups (may have been 100 accumulative but I don't think so)...then it was feasible but not now, I'd have to drop the push-ups, at least.

I recollect lots of comments to myself and my sister, at the time, about the size of our calves...really not sure if it worked, or if it was mostly down to genetics anyway and we were just building on that by being fitter and stronger to some degree.

Share with Facebook