Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sBB View Post
I have a newb question about volume. Assuming someone is focused on getting stronger is there any benefit at all to destroying a muscle group with up to 20 sets a week? Will volume training help build more muscle and as a result more strength?
For a newb, no. I really don't think there's much need. Also a newb by definition won't have the necessary form and discipline required during heavy work to be able to do all of those sets safely.

Ideally he'll be doing 3 sets per bodypart 3 times a week. 9 sets total per week. He just isn't ready to be destroying himself with 20 sets a week. It's not safe and it's not necessary for strength gains early on.

That will change later on, when form is better, he has the ability to push hard and has gained some strength and muscle to safeguard himself from injury. I regularly do 24 sets per bodypart a week and I don't consider that a big deal, it's just my usual workload.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook