View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100 Points: 1,548,567, Level: 100
Activity: 48% Activity: 48% Activity: 48%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Squats and deadlifts of around 300 just aren't going to lead to an impressive level if development, despite being stronger than most people in the gym. .
I agree with Fazc. My best personal gains came from pushing from a 225 bench to a 350 bench, a 275 squat to a 450 squat, etc.

I would also say that far too many people underestimate how strong they can get in a short amount of time as a "beginner" to early intermediate. I do not feel I am in any way a genetic freak. After 18 months of lifting I was squatting 365 for reps and benching 275 for reps.

It is very common to see very slow progression, and people getting frustrated. Check out any lifting forum and you will find a lot of guys that have been training for a long time 4-6 years) that aren't squatting 315 for reps yet. I mean no disrespect to them at all, as there are many possible reasons (one being age), but there has to be a good middle ground.

This middle ground to me is the use of a program that focuses on linear progression in a reasonable manner.

If someone came to me personally and wanted me to train them I would expect 275-315 for reps on squats during the end of year one. I also would recommend a lot of food, as year 1-2 have the greatest potential for rapid progress and I do not like to hinder that by walking the fine line close to undereating.

Just my 2 cents.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook