1. Hard work. If its easy, scrap it. Starting out, you want big, power building lifts. Squats, deadlifts, over head press, benches, rows, dips, pullups.
2. Progression - Get stronger on your main lifts, and a lot of little things take care of themselves.
3. Get your form right. Don't dive into heavy weight right away. Make sure you are performing the lifts correctly for several weeks, this way once you begin pushing for progression, you can do it safely and effectively.
4. Diet is key. Eat well, eat to recover, enjoy what you're eating.
5. Dont worry about what others think. In a year, you'll be stronger than the haters.