Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Tournaments Won: 2

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
My Mood: Sleepy
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
I'm re-reading PP and was wondering if I could do madcow every other day per the novice training cycle or does the 3rd workout (friday) using new higher weights for 3 reps warrant 2 days rest afterward?

maybe i'm missing something in the novice programming, but it looks like taking the extra day off at the end of the week is slightly sub-optimal. what are your thoughts? thanks guys.
Im going to take a stab at this, I am assuming you mean Practical Programming for Strength Training, because you referenced Madcow. So correct me if I am wrong on anything .

Anyway. You have to remember, Mondays workout is about doing enough volume to bring about Selye's 1st stage of adaption, Wednesday is about recovery helping with the 2nd stage of adaption, and Friday is about demonstrating your increased strength from the adaptions to Mondays workout combined with your rest.

Also the strength you can demonstrate is called "preparedness", which is the combination of your strength and fatigue. So after a 20 rep squat set, you can barely walk, it doesnt mean you are weak, it just means you have a lot of fatigue, preventing you from demonstrating your strength.

So to cut a longer story short, you wont recover in enough time, and as a result you wont be able to demonstrate strength on Monday and Friday, and you will accumulate a lot of fatigue, and possibly enter the dreaded 3rd stage. But you will end up missing reps.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook