Originally Posted by Kevsworld
Maybe we could start with this:
1. Work on the basic, compound lifts: bench press, squat, deadlift
2. Eat a nutrient dense diet and increase your protein intake.
3. Be sure to get adequate rest, including adequate sleep.
4. Focus on good form--never sacrifice form.
5. Focus on diet and training over supplements.
Just a few ideas, assuming you are healthy and just now starting out.
This is a great piece of advice. I would also suggest to find a training partner. Doesn't have to be an every day thing, but it is great to have another set of eyes. I would also suggest that you start a training log on this site. You have people from all walks of life and strength levels here. You can get good advice from someone who benchpress 135lbs to someone who can benchpress 700lbs. Its a great mix of people here. Best of luck and if there is anything I can help you with dont be scared to ask.