Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Does anyone else have personal experience of no or little substantial loss in strength gains after having a lay-off from training, for whatever reason?
I think it depends how far along the strength curve you are, I think the closer you are to your starting strength the easier it will be to maintain this after a break.

My own example, I could raw squat 500lbs prior to taking 18 months off to do some travelling. I came back from that and promptly ripped my right hamstring pretty much clean off the bone with a mere 400lbs deadlift. Gutted. It has taken me pretty much 4 years to get most of that strength back and I still haven't duplicated the 500lbs squat raw.

On the other hand I used to suffer with minor back issues when I first started training that would lay me off for a few weeks. I would typically come back at the same level of strength that I left off at, around 300-350lbs.

At the upper levels of strength I think the drop off is markedly higher.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook