Max Brawn
Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75 Points: 13,628, Level: 75
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Training Exp: On and off for 15 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
My Mood: Doubtful
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I think the idea that there are only 3 approaches to take is flawed. People think you either have to get fat to also gain muscle or cut 3lb/week to lose fat, and if you don't want to do either of those things (Who does?!) then you have to stay right in the middle and recomp.

Right now I'm doing a hard cut, but that's because I'm in an extreme situation. If I were trying to maintain mass while cutting then I would be aiming to lose no more than 1lb/week, probably less. If I were trying to add mass/strength then I would aim for just 2-300 extra calories a day at the most. This would result in gaining about 1lb every 2 weeks, and even then it would certainly include plenty of fat.

Yes, recomping is certainly possible, but don't discount the idea of shifting your focus just slightly towards cutting or bulking without getting to crazy with it. I firmly believe that doing 4 alternating 3 month cycles of running a slight calorie deficit then running a slight surplus will give most people better results than a year of straight recomping. This also gives you a reason to keep very close attention to your diet, which will always give you better results then letting your focus slip off of your diet.
Goals-
Win.
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook