Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Heavy bench - Work up in singles, back off set with 275.
and

Heavy military - Work up in singles, back off set with 185.
In regards to the sets/reps there, you got some options there. If you ramp up to 1 top single, then drop down to 90% of that and do the rest of your singles there. That gives you a 1RM for the day, and you base the rest of the worksets on that. That way you can gauge improvement immediately from your initial single.

Or, just pick a comfortable 90% weight and do your singles with that weight. Less chance of burn out, but it's a little guess work as to whether you're improving your 1RM.

Either would work I think, but I'd definitely do at least most of your singles using sets across, 1 top single just wouldn't be enough workload and potentially risky to do week in week out. That's what I figure anyway, I'd rather do my 8 singles with 180-190kg rather than ramp up and past 220kg consistently every time. More form practice, more strengthening. It's a hell of a lotta work though.

Out of interest; Ditillo recommends multiple singles (5-8), then take 20lbs off the bar and do a couple doubles, then take another 20lbs off and do 3 triples.

Last edited by Fazc; 10-29-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook