Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
My Mood: Yeehaw
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The more I do fullbody-style workouts, the more I like the idea of doing high energy/taxing lifts like squats and deads last.
It's all about conditioning for me.

I think if you're doing a Full-Body with Squats near the end you may well be tired to begin with, that's just your energy systems and other complicated bits-n-bobs not adapted yet. However if you're still dragging your heels a couple months later there's something seriously wrong.

The more I work with Full-Body routines (especially with the super high volume stuff at the moment) the more I have had to realise that you really cannot view them as a series of seperate exercises. A Full-Body routine demands that you view the entire workout as one large set in itself. There is no point knocking yourself out and making progress on the first three exercises if the fourth and fifth amount to nothing. That is not Full Body training.

When introducing Full-Body routines, your first goal is to condition your body to withstand the workout. If you skip that initial foundation period, there is no way on earth you can profit from an extended Full-Body routine. Some examples to illustrate:

Overhead Press - Great, felt good!
Chins - Great, felt good!
Benches - Not bad.
Squats - Floored.
SLDL - Zzzzzzz.

Now the goal for next session is not to hammer the Overhead Press and Chins into obliviion no matter how tempting a new PR is. The goal should be to maintain the weight and get to the Benches and Squats as quickly as possible.

Overhead Press - Great, felt good!
Chins - Great, felt good!
Benches - Great, felt good!
Squats - Great, felt good!
SLDL - Not bad.

A few sessions like this and you could have the above notations.

From there on, you should breeze through all of the exercises. At that point consider adding weight.

So there you go, a quick 'n' dirty guideline for building work capacity Full-Body style.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook