View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100 Points: 1,477,244, Level: 100
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwizards View Post

Mon:
Front Squat 3x5
Romanian DL 3x5
OH Press 3x8
3x5-8 pullups

Wed:
Incline dumbbell press 3x8
BB bench press 3x5
weighted dips 3x5
10x2 gorilla explosive pushups

Fri:
Chinups 3x10
dumbbell bent over rows 3x8
Rack pulls 3x5
Sumo DL heavy 1x5
Light hang/power cleans

What do you guys think?
Welcome to the forum. I give you credit for sticking with Starting Strength for that long. Nice work. It can be hard to structure workouts without knowing where your lifts are currently at. Some guys are squatting 400 after a year and some 250. If you wouldn't mind, let us know about where your lift totals ended on Starting Strength.

Now, about program structure...

First off I would say that after 10 months all bodyparts and lifts are lagging.
I always recommend keeping the best lifts in a workout because they help keep a program balanced, and they are the best for overall development. You have some a solid structure, but it does need back squats. I would still run them once a week. If you want variety, try a few sets of both on your leg day.

Your front squat will always be 90 pounds lower than your back squat. This isn't a weakness. It's normal.

Exercise order needs some tweaking. I wouldn't suggest performing heavy sumos after rack pulls. In fact, at this stage in your training I wouldn't recommend rack pulls. Especially with all the pulling moves you currently have on Friday (deadlift, cleans). Drop the rack pulls and move pull ups to Friday.

Your hamstrings will get decent stimulation from back squats and sumo deads. If you want to dump RDLs that's ok, but I would add in something like leg curls, or glute ham raises if you know what they are.

Shoulders you could add in Arnold presses, front plate raises, or one arm dumbbell presses.

Mon:
Squat 3x5
Romanian DL 3x5
OH Press 3x8
Arnold Pres or Front Plate Raise

Wed:
Incline dumbbell press 3x8
BB bench press 3x5
weighted dips 3x5
10x2 gorilla explosive pushups

Fri:
Sumo DL heavy 1x5
dumbbell bent over rows 3x8
3x5-8 pullups
Light hang/power cleans
Chinups 3x10

Finally, remember that lagging bodyparts/lifts improve via progression of weight, and that takes time and not volume. So don't feel like you have to add in a lot of extra work to focus on one bodypart. 10 months isn't really a lot of time.

In addition, there are many other factors that could be impacting progress such as technique or a weak lower back. Both of these will improver over time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook