View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100 Points: 1,473,310, Level: 100
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Steve, if you could tell me in more detail how I would do this in terms of rep/set schemes?

Is the way I have performed it in this example not great?
I would recommend something like this:

Bar x 10-15
135 x 5-10
185 x 3-5
225 (What you are using now) x max reps.

Never train the deadlift beyond the point where the reps start to feel sloppy. I would say once you get to 10 reps with your max set, add 10 pounds the next week. Keep doing this until you start to feel like the lift is kicking your ass, and then maybe drop to a 5 rep set or look at a different protocol.

It might seem like a waste of time when the weight is still light, but it's not. First you get a basic mastery of the lift, then you slowly build, then you leave the cocoon and start ramming it.

Right now you need to practice reps to get your form down, so don't just walk through your warmup. Make sure you try to make every warmup rep perfect.

As the weight gets heavier the warmup structure will change. It ill be less about practicing form, and more about CNS and getting the muscles ready. There is a balance of course.

My warmup for an all out set on 405 looks like:

Bar x 10
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 1
365 x 1
405 x 1
405 x Max

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-06-2011 at 11:21 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook