View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100 Points: 1,354,670, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will agree that success is mental. Without drive and persistence you won't succeed.

I do think when we talk overtraining, we need to look at all sides of the issue. If you push too hard for too long you will get injured, unless you are a freak. And most of us are not.

I have spent years in the trenches pushing close to the edge. Too much heavy work injures me. It injures most of us. You can feel you are in control, but you're not. You will have that moment, out of the blue, where you get a really horrendous strain that can unhinge you for 4-6 months. I know because I have been there several times.

If you line up 100 guys and have them march 20 miles each day while drinking only 16 ounces of water and eating a cupcake, the last man to survive this journey is a freak, not the norm. If you want to mimic his behavior, you must embrace the reality that there is a 99% chance you will fail. I am not telling you "don't try." I am telling you that if you think you can squat heavy 6 times a week, at least own the possibility that something will go wrong.

Very few of us are top level Olympic lifters. Most of us have wives, families and can't risk severe injury or being away from work. Call me a pussy if you will, but I am a man and I have responsibilities away from lifting. I can't devote 7 days a week to lifting, nor do I want to risk injuring myself.

I respect the athletes that get to that level. But in my universe the risk highly outweighs the reward.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-13-2011 at 09:33 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook