View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
BendtheBar
BendtheBar
is getting skinny(ish)
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100 Points: 1,537,705, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
My Mood: Lurking
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Welcome to the forum. We will do everything we can to get you rolling.

You asked me about compound movements vs. isolation. Since you haven't been growing, you need to start from square one. If you focus on a basic template with heavy compound lifts, and shoot for more reps and weight each workout, you won't need isolation exercises for quite some time.

I recommended closegrip bench presses for your triceps...those are what I do, and my arms are currently 18 inches+. Of course, my bodyfat is still higher then 20%, so that number is slightly inflated compared to ripped bodybuilders.

Get out of the mindset that you have to hammer each body part individually from 17 different angles. What you need for the first year at minimum is more weight on the bar. I guarantee if you get to a 300 bench, your arms will be bigger. And the same for a 350 squat and your leg size.

For legs, all you really need right now is squats. But it won't hurt to add front squats, leg presses, or extensions.

Progression of weight and intensity is everything. New lifters tend to grow on any routine as long as they are pushing for more each set. Log your workouts, and improve by one rep each time out. After a year your body will have added muscle.

One of the best beginner workouts is the 5x5...and it basically uses only squats, bench press, deadlift, barbell rows and overhead presses.

You don't have to go to that extreme, but you shouldn't concern yourself with being obsessive compulsive about every detail. It doesn't matter if you are doing 30 sets for your arms, or just rolling a rock up a hill. If you roll a slightly heavier rock each time, you will be Hercules in 2 years.

The reason why there are so many programs out there is because basically everything works...as long as you are eating and adding more weight. HIT works because intensity is increased. Volume can work if progression is used.

Think of this...bench press, overhead press and closegrips all hammer the triceps...you don't need much tricep work after that.

Rows, pullups and deadlifts tax the biceps...curls are icing on the cake.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-13-2009 at 08:06 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook