Thread: Protein Sources
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
bamazav
bamazav
Dog House Training, home of the WalkerDips!Geezers Rule!
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
My Mood: Amazed
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedSoul View Post
I am new here so please forgive me if I post something that has been previously covered in another thread.

I have a question on different protein sources. Can our bodies really tell the difference? I understand that some will break down faster than others, but will my body really use one type of protein more completely than another?

I get most of my daily protein from eggs, milk and meat, but I also get a substantial amount (30+ grams) from grains and vegetables. My normal lunch is 8oz of chicken breast with either 1 cup of rice or 1cup of beans. Am I wasting my time eating the beans (because I don't particularly like them anyway)?

I have tried to read up on the subject myself, but am having trouble finding reliable information.
The answer to your first question is ...NO. Your body does not have a meat, bean, milk or egg detector. However, that being said, your body can benefit more from some proteins over others. You want to use the most complete protein as possible. Most vegetable proteins are incomplete proteins, not having the same amino make up of your animal based proteins. Before ABs jumps in, soy is considered one of the most complete of the veggie proteins. I advocate getting your protein from a variety of good sources. You would have to eat a ton of beans to get enough without any supps or animal proteins. You are doing right eating a variety. It makes eating more enjoyable and will help keep you on task. If you find you are not getting enough protein, take Gasper's advise and use a good protein supplement.

2014 100%RAW American Challenge, May 31, 2014:
Squat 292
Bench 176
Deadlift 375 PR
Total - 843 at 50 yrs 199.6 lbs

Shooting for a 900+ total for next meet. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook