View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
glwanabe
glwanabe
has no status.
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

When I was younger I could get away with less warmup work than I do now.
I don't want to paint the picture that I'm an arthritic old man. I'm not 20, 30, or even 40 anymore. I'll be 48 in a few months. I've done my fair share of damage to my body over the years from living my life in the game, and not watching it from the sidelines. Just age alone requires that I approach things with a bit of caution.

I would not say that the amount I do before my worksets is excessive. Rather, it is appropriate given the fact that I've got a little bit more wear and tear on my body.

I do squats first in my workout. My warm up set at 130 is pretty light, but those first few squats are still stiff feeling. 10 reps for me on that set is just enough to get the blood flowing and let my body know that work is coming.

My second set right now is usually at 180. I can feel the weight here, but it is not heavy. I choose 8 reps for this set for a reason. My highest workset will go to 8 reps. So I want to at least match that workset number with my warmup. This may mean that I'm not moving up as fast as I possibly could, but I'm still moving up in workset weights.

By the time some of you get to be my current age, I really will be an old man. My time with iron may well be long gone by that time. I want to be able to continue doing this for as long as possible, and that means making changes to accomodate the reality of getting older. If waking up in pain, and being sore was going to keep me from doing this, I would have already quit.

Tomorrow is workout day, I can't wait.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Share with Facebook