Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Fitness & Health (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Injuries Advice (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966)

DennisInGeorgia 10-12-2009 09:47 AM

Injuries Advice
 
Mentioned in my Intro that I used to ride bulls. So, have had a number of injuries. Broken ribs, collar bone, wrist, toe, etc. Think about dropping a Volkswagen on you from 3 feet up, you get the idea.

Both elbows have been beat up pretty good and have had to have cortisone injections in them 3 times. Appreciate any advice on what you would do to workout hard and still somewhat baby the elbows.

Left knee is also a problem. May be overuse. I walk at least 35 miles a week.

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

BendtheBar 10-12-2009 10:07 AM

My biggest piece of advice is don't use any exercises that heavily aggravate your elbows. No need to torture yourself.

If you're looking at training primarily for mass, maybe you can use some techniques like rest-pause and slower negatives to keep the weight slightly lower. This might help the joints as well.

DennisInGeorgia 10-12-2009 10:22 AM

Appreciate the input. Think I'm going to like this site. ;-)

I do also take glucosamine daily. Stay away from Tylenol, etc.

BendtheBar 10-12-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisInGeorgia (Post 7173)
Appreciate the input. Think I'm going to like this site. ;-)

I do also take glucosamine daily. Stay away from Tylenol, etc.

No problem. I hope some of the other guys give you some feedback. There are many guys here that know their training.

DennisInGeorgia 10-13-2009 07:13 AM

So, I'm thinking a should be able to go heavy(ier) on pressing movements and stay lighter on curling motions with maybe more reps in order to "baby" the elbows.

Maybe the bowflex would be easier on the elbows as far as curling motion, I'm not sure.

BendtheBar 10-13-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisInGeorgia (Post 7278)
So, I'm thinking a should be able to go heavy(ier) on pressing movements and stay lighter on curling motions with maybe more reps in order to "baby" the elbows.

Maybe the bowflex would be easier on the elbows as far as curling motion, I'm not sure.

Only way to tell is play around. I used to have brutal elbow tendinitis and to much pressing made it worse.

In the words of Clarence Bass...if it hurts, don't do it :)

DennisInGeorgia 10-13-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn (Post 7292)
Only way to tell is play around. I used to have brutal elbow tendinitis and to much pressing made it worse.

In the words of Clarence Bass...if it hurts, don't do it :)

Wow blast from the past, Clarence Bass. Is that "ole boy" still around?

BendtheBar 10-13-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DennisInGeorgia (Post 7295)
Wow blast from the past, Clarence Bass. Is that "ole boy" still around?

Yes, he is. I did an interview with him last month :) He looks tremendous.

Here he is at 70:

http://www.cbass.com/IMAGES/BassLightStudio.JPG


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.