Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Board (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What trivial things wind you up? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9649)

Tannhauser 04-14-2012 09:58 AM

What trivial things wind you up?

Being infuriated by stupid, petty things is a good sign: it shows you don't have anything worse to worry about AND you have more than enough energy to waste.

What sort of trivial things annoy you out of all proportion?

Come on, get it out of your systems!

I'll start off:

1. Misuse of the word 'electrocute'. For example: 'I electrocuted myself three times today.' No. No. No, you didn't. You received an electric shock today. 'Electrocute' is a portmanteau word, created from 'electricity' and 'execute'. Electrocution refers specifically to receiving a fatal electric shock.

This misuse recently appeared in our ultra-conservative TV paper, the Radio Times, causing me to fire off a furious email. I suggested that the article writer needed to be electrocuted, in the correct sense of the word. Needless to say, the b**tards didn't print it.

2. Other road users not using their indicators (What do you call them in the USA? Flashers? Blinkers?) About 50% of the UK has stopped using their indicators, so I end up braking at roundabouts for no reason. This little bit of laziness and selfishness reduces me to a beetroot-face apoplectic rage. I find I'm looking out for it in advance, so that I can be even more annoyed. In protest, I now even use my indicators when there's no one else on the road.

Goat 04-14-2012 10:23 AM

When using blinkers other driver speed up so that you cannot change lanes.

Smokers smoking while I am eating, screw it smokers period.

Freaking loud ass car stereo's, how about some peace and F-cking quiet.

Fazc 04-14-2012 10:40 AM

People pushing their trolley's, or worse themselves, right up against you when you're queued at Sainsbury's/Asda.

THE CHECKOUT CASHIER ISN'T GOING TO WORK ANY FASTER IF YOU'RE SNUGGLED UP AGAINST ME!

Tannhauser 04-14-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 232916)
People pushing their trolley's, or worse themselves, right up against you when you're queued at Sainsbury's/Asda.

That's the most human contact I get some weeks. ;)

LtL 04-14-2012 11:27 AM

Rude people.

Poor drivers cutting me up and not apologising.

Invasion of my personal space.

Your being used when they mean you're.

LtL

LtL 04-14-2012 11:31 AM

Proper nouns that haven't been capitalised, for example:

My name is al.

I blame television for this one.

Lastly for now I get annoyed by overuse of exclamation and question marks.

Oh and the acronym "lol".

Does it how I'm a language fanatic and a grumpy one at that.

LtL

Tannhauser 04-14-2012 12:00 PM

People that describe emotional states by substituting noises for words .

For example:

'I was furious' becomes 'I was like grrrrr!'

'I was taken aback, a bit nonplused' becomes 'I'm like ummmm, OK'

and

'He's like uuuuhhh!'

I don't know what this last one means, because I'm not yet fluent in subnormalese.

Anyone that resorts to vowel sounds and animal vocalisations, and who doesn't have a medical certificate excusing him/her, should be made to eat a live whippet, back legs first.

Hazzard 04-14-2012 12:37 PM

Most of the people at my gym.

My aunt saying that all the music I listen to "sounds like Slipknot". _

BendtheBar 04-14-2012 01:12 PM

In my local area, 95% of drivers are consistently 5-10 miles under the speed limit. It drives me nuts. When I go 5 miles over the limit and pass them they tend to look at me like I am a crazed lunatic.

Speed...the...heck...up.

JTurner 04-14-2012 01:41 PM

People eating in lectures irritates me enough but when they choose crisps or something similar and sit there thinking they're opening it really slowly and no-one can hear, it makes me want to slap them and stuff the damn bag down their throat.