Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Alcohol (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9644)

superdude 04-13-2012 06:24 PM

Alcohol

I must say I do like my Coors light. But I wanted to know how much does alcohol effect a weight lifter? Short term effects as well as long term effects.

Chillen 04-13-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdude (Post 232751)
I must say I do like my Coors light. But I wanted to know how much does alcohol effect a weight lifter? Short term effects as well as long term effects.

This depends on many personal and life-style environmental factors; which, are in control of the person with weight lifting goals. For example: How much and how often consumed, whether consumption interferes with consistency which can lead to or is causing inhibition of personal goals, whether diet is setup to solicit tissue loss or gain, causing personal or family issues, etc, etc.

Best wishes,

Chillen

Bodybygamma 04-13-2012 09:41 PM

Whiskey and Beer. (Johnny Walker Blk label and heineken) Hit a 285 behind the neck press before that max was 260. Booze =25lbs pr.

Grey goose (EWWWW) and Jameson (YUM)- Hit a 345lbs front squat for a double oly grip when my max was 315 for a single. Liquor = 30lbs pr.

Goat 04-14-2012 01:17 AM

The Muscles:

"Alcohol reduces blood flow to the muscles, including the heart, causing muscle weakness and deterioration. One outcome is cardiomyopathy (sluggish heart) which is common in alcoholics. Another outcome, arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), or "holiday heart,"is often treated in emergency wards after several days of party drinking. Muscle aches are a common symptom of excessive-drinking "hangovers." "

Biological Effects of Alcohol Use, Michaele Dunlap, Psy.D

Decades ago it was recognized that alcohol per se is a testicular toxin, with low testosterone levels in alcoholic men, and that alcohol intake may cause a transient acute decrease in blood testosterone levels in healthy nonalcoholic men.

Alcohol and testosterone

ehubbard 04-23-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodybygamma (Post 232808)
Whiskey and Beer. (Johnny Walker Blk label and heineken) Hit a 285 behind the neck press before that max was 260. Booze =25lbs pr.

Grey goose (EWWWW) and Jameson (YUM)- Hit a 345lbs front squat for a double oly grip when my max was 315 for a single. Liquor = 30lbs pr.

Is this a joke?

IronWill 04-23-2012 06:48 PM

Alcohol will also disrupt your sleep. I believe that's when the growin' takes place.

gaspers04 04-23-2012 06:54 PM

To much thought.

dmaipa 04-23-2012 07:15 PM

alcohol decreases testosterone...nuff said..

gaspers04 04-23-2012 07:23 PM

Lets admit it fellas, if you are a full blown alcoholic... you probably wouldn't be here. I enjoy a beer almost every night. Im stronger then I have ever been. A drink here and there isnt going to kill performance or strength. Enjoy life, train and eat!

dmaipa 04-23-2012 07:30 PM

my post is more geared towards those who binge drink frequently..enjoying a few beers here and there isn't going to kill you..like big G said. live life!