Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition, Diet and Supplements (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Eggs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8778)

wimpy 01-27-2012 02:32 PM

Eggs

I know many people that only eat egg whites. they think that the yolks are bad for them. Yet the yolks have all of the omega 3s in them right? So that would make them some what good for them.

Off Road 01-27-2012 02:39 PM

The yolk also contains all the fat and calories. So you can eat a lot of egg whites and gain a lot of protien in your diet without all the fat and calories. Important stuff if you are trying to lose weight. Personally I can't stand just eating egg whites, I need to throw a yolk in there. My usual mixture is 5 whites and one yolk.

Shadowschmadow 01-27-2012 02:54 PM

That's because people don't do research, and all they read about eggs is cholesterol - not lecithin contained in the egg.

Jesda 01-27-2012 02:58 PM

I think that they are alright to eat. You can eat a few a day and not have to worry about it.

Aurik 01-27-2012 03:01 PM

Everyone seems to think that "fat is evil" and "cholesterol is evil". It has been shown by numerous studies that the cholesterol found in egg yolks will NOT increase your cholesterol levels. Furthermore, people do not realize that you NEED a certain amount of fat and cholesterol in your diet -- without fat and cholesterol your body cannot produce many of the hormones it needs, most especially testosterone.

Shadowschmadow 01-27-2012 03:14 PM

Why Eggs Don't Contribute Much Cholesterol To Diet

Cliff Notes:
Quote:

The researchers controlled experimental conditions to specifically look at egg phospholipid and its effect on cholesterol absorption. Even though a good amount of cholesterol is consumed when an egg is eaten, much of the cholesterol becomes "unavailable for absorption" in the presence of the phospholipid, Koo said.
Quote:

The phospholipid, or lecithin, found in egg markedly inhibits the cholesterol absorption. The inhibition is not 100 percent, he said. Some cholesterol is absorbed but the amount is significantly reduced in the presence of this phospholipid.
Quote:

"Less absorption means less cholesterol introduced into the blood," Koo said. "We were able to determine experimentally that a substantial amount of the egg cholesterol is not going into the blood stream."
Quote:

Egg contains a higher quality protein than protein found in meat, milk or fish.

Furthermore, egg is a significant source of vitamins A and E, and B vitamins B-6, B-12 and folate, which are known to lower blood levels of homocysteine, an independent risk factor for heart disease.

Shadowschmadow 01-27-2012 03:20 PM

I can keep going if need be. There are a lot of benefits from eating the yolk of eggs. Far more than there are of just eating the whites.

Shadowschmadow 01-27-2012 03:31 PM

Eggs, serum cholesterol, and coronary heart d... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1982] - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:

Abstract
The Framingham Study has investigated the effect of host and environmental factors on the development of coronary heart disease since 1949. Serum cholesterol level was determined to the one of the risk factors for coronary heart disease. The nutrient intake, in a subsample of the study population, was determined in 1957. A review of this material has permitted an estimate of egg consumption on each of 912 subjects. The serum cholesterol distribution curves of the subjects according to tertile of egg intake were almost identical, and no relationship between egg intake and coronary heart disease incidence was found. It is concluded that within the range of egg intake of this population differences in egg consumption were unrelated to blood cholesterol level or to coronary heart disease incidence

BendtheBar 01-27-2012 03:35 PM

Sticky win:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/nut...y-day-bad.html

heavyweight 01-28-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 211630)
I can keep going if need be. There are a lot of benefits from eating the yolk of eggs. Far more than there are of just eating the whites.

I agree with you. I would never just eat the whites. What a waste.